October 10, 2013

Four tiny tabbies (Part 8)~ We've been fixed

To read this story from the beginning click here.

To read the previous installment click here.



The kittens were getting close to their scheduled spay/neuter date. They were all getting so big! I was concerned though because at 4 months of age, Belroses' testicles still had not descended.  When I brought him into work with me to have the Doctor look at him she was almost certain that she could feel one testicle in his inguinal area but said that he was bilateral Cryptorchid for sure. His brother, Mathew Purry had this problem as well. The doctor advised me that he should still be neutered and should go to his appointment as scheduled. His surgical procedure would just be a little different, because is the other testicle she couldn't feel was still in his abdomen they would have to go in and find it.

The kittens waiting outside the Vet ready to be Spayed and Neutered
Later that day after surgery was over I was happy to find that both of Belroses' testicles had been hanging out in the inguinal space just below his prepuce. This meant that they did not have to open his abdomen to find them and he just had two simple skin incisions. Good news for him! Everyone did great with their surgery and were on their way to finding forever homes!

Kilara in her "cone of shame"
 The girls had to wear Elizabethan collars to keep them from licking open their incisions. If they had they could have opened their abdomens exposing their insides or gotten an infection. I used harnesses to keep the e-collars on so they couldn't pull them off. I did have to take them off to let them eat, but then right back on! Kilara took a quick second to lick her belly after her dinner one night and pulled open a teeny spot in her incision. Sneaky kitten! I had to watch her more closely after that.

Berrilee resting. The E-collar didn't really bother her at all.
 Berrilee never really minded the e-collar and just kept on playing with her brother like it wasn't there. Belrose got to get away without wearing one. I kept a good eye on him and he never once tried to lick his incisions, so I let him off easy. 

Belrose didn't have to wear a collar after all
I tried to confine the girls in a small kennel to keep them quiet and calm after surgery, but Kilara was not having any part of it! She kept sticking her paws out of the cage and flipping all around crying, so I had to let her out before she hurt herself. All that moving around was not good for her incision! She was much more calm after I let her out and did pretty good keeping herself quiet. Berrilee was calm on her own and took the first night pretty easy. After the second night and another dose of pain medication every one of the kittens was back at full power.

We Make these cones look cute!
 I was starting to feel a little sad though, because I knew it was getting to be time for them to leave. They stayed with me for about a week after getting fixed and then I signed the papers that made them official Suffolk Humane Adoptees. They were no longer mine.

Berrilee
I got them all packed up and took them into work to get them settled into the adoption kennel. They didn't seem too scared by the new surroundings and they were curious about the kennel so that made me feel good. 

Hey there are more play places down there!
And food over here!
Even a hammock!
Then all there was to do was to wait for their new families to fine them! I bet that they will get great new homes, and only time will tell.




















The kittens went up for adoption Oct 10th 2013

No comments: