October 19, 2013

The School yard Kitten

The Vet office I was working at in May of 2012 was directly across a busy street from a school. the school has a large front yard with many very large azalea bushes. Apparently the perfect place for a mother cat to hide her kittens. That is until one of them is found. That was when I met this tiny little baby:
Little Bitty Kitten
 One of the school children had found her and the Teacher took her  across the street to us knowing that we would be able to help it. The tiny kitten was a little girl and she spent the rest of the day hanging out in the vet office soaking up all the love and attention that a kitten can handle. The rest of the time she stayed nestled in my pocket where she slept the day away.
Happiness is a kitten in your pocket :)
I took her home with me that night and set her up a little play area where she would be safe. My couch at the time was just high enough off the ground for kittens to get stuck under and there are a lot of cords and plugs behind the TV stand for tiny kittens to get in trouble with. My cats were unimpressed. I swear they give me the same look my husband does when a new kitten comes home with me. It's like they are all saying "Really? Again?". 
Kitten's playpen (It's actually my rabbits)
I made the Kitten a tiny collar and a harness so she could explore outside a little bit. We called her Honey B short for honey badger, because she had a pint sized little cattitude that let us know she didn't care what we thought . She was sweet, but Very sassy! Such a cutie.
Honey B strolling around the backyard
Honey B in her tiny harness





















I only had her for a week or so when I heard that one of our very good clients who was also my friend lost their recently adopted kitten to a fatal illness. They were heartbroken and I was very sad for them because the kitten they had adopted was such a sweet little boy. I knew that they were very sad without him, and so I offered for them to meet Honey B.
What's a new home?
 They Loved her from first sight! It made me happy to see a bit of joy on their grief stricken faces and also to know that Honey B would have a great forever home with a loving family. They needed a night to prepare for new kitten and then would pick her up the next day.
I'm going home!
The next day was bitter sweet. I was so happy for her and for her new family, but I would miss her. Her new family named her Shira after the princess of power from the 80's cartoon He Man. I loved it! I used to watch that cartoon when I was little too. It ended up being a very happy day with Shira getting a home! 

The End

and there were other surprises in store that day too.......
but I hadn't met them just yet.
 Read about them in A tale of two kittens

No comments: