August 8, 2013

My first Suffolk Humane Fosters

In June of 2012 I decided to try fostering for the humane society. I was having difficulty finding homes for my foster kittens quickly and my husband was left feeling as though the house would be taken over by tiny kitten overlords.  So I figured that fostering for the humane society would make things easier because they find the kittens homes, not me.  That was when I met the most caring and giving cat. She came to me in a cat carrier surrounded by little fuzzy babies.
Meet Saphira- Mother of many
 I named the stunning little tabby Saphira. She had a big heart and a tiny little body with which she diligently was feeding seven babies. Seven! She cared for all of them very well. I made sure she got plenty of extra food and supplements to keep her well fed and healthy while she continued to nurse her babies. I would also bottle feed them at least once a day to give her a well needed break. She would usually use the occasion to eat and rub herself all over my legs while I was feeding the kittens.


Miles, the smallest male

Deanna, the smallest female

Kestra



My personal favorite, Teeny Tiny Tucker
Minuet, the largest female

Wesley


Kahless, the largest male and the biggest kitten

As you can see, Saphira had her paws full! She was such a good mommy though. She always ran to the aid of any kitten that called for her and kept her babies exceptionally clean. You would think that she would be tired and want a break! I know I would. But she continued to amaze me every day.

To find out more read the next installment titled:









No comments: