September 3, 2013

Four tiny tabbies (part 5) Kilara's lameness

To read this story from the beginning click here.

To read the previous installment click here.

I awoke that morning to the sound of kittens rummaging around in the utility closet. They had gotten the door open sometime in the night and were running around the washer and dryer playing in between the ironing board and extra panels of the pet gates. My husband found Kilara wedged behind the dryer and pulled her out before he left for work. I got up and fed every one and got ready for work myself. That was when I noticed Kilara sitting alone in the corner of my room holding her left paw up like it hurt her. Upon further inspection I found that she was unwilling to bear weight on it and cried when I squeezed her arm. The poor little thing must have gotten her arm stuck in the gate panels in the utility closet. I took her to the Vet office with me to get checked out. 
Kilara "Helping" me write my blog
The Veterinarian checked Kilara out and decided that she did not have any broken bones, but her limb was tender and slightly swollen. She gave Kilara some pain medication and advised me to let her rest and take it easy until her leg felt better. That sounded great to me, and I took Kilara home with me that night optimistic that she would recover quickly. 
Kilara says "I feel crummy, would you stop taking my picture!"
Later that night it became apparent that not only was Kilara much sicker then I had originally thought, but Westleigh was showing symptoms as well. Kilara's temp was 104.6 and Westleigh's was 104.5 F. I gave them a little bit of oral medicine and fluids subcutaneously to help with the fever and set my sights on morning. 
In the morning they both went to work with me. At this time their temps had climbed to 105.3 F and 105.2 F, and they both had limb lameness. These poor babies were sick again! The Vet put them back on an antibiotic and sent home more fever reducing medication.  I was instructed to give sub cutaneous fluids daily until the fever resolved. 
Kilara and Westleigh warm themselves in a sunspot after getting fluids.
The next day I noticed that Belrose was licking his mouth and acting like it was uncomfortable. Upon further inspection I found that he had a pretty sizable ulcer on his tongue. Poor little man! I checked the other kittens mouths and found that they all had the same ulcer on their tongues too. Berilee and Belrose never exhibited the fever that Westleigh and Kilara did, but they all had the tongue ulcers. I consulted the Veterinarian so see what her input on this situation might be. 
The Ulcer on Belrose's tongue is right next to my finger and is the slightly darker area.


The Veterinarian said that all these symptoms sounded like the kittens were dealing with Calicivirus.
This is a virus that cats can be vaccinated against and is part of the feline distemper shot, but due to their young age the kittens had only gotten 1 vaccine prior to becoming ill. They were coming up due for a booster vaccine, but the Vet advised me to hold off on further vaccination until the ulcers cleared up and their immune systems were in a stronger place.
Kilara and Westleigh
With treatment the kittens made a speedy recovery in about a week, but the ulcers took longer to heal. It was a few weeks before the last spots of ulceration finally healed over. The Vet made a comment that she did not believe that this litter would have survived it they had been born in the colony rather than in my house. I'm glad that they continue to survive because they have taught me so much and they are such loving and sweet babies. I could not imagine a world without them in it.

To read more about these Kittens look for the next installment titled:

No comments: